SMILE MAKEOVER: Reinvent Your Smile
A smile makeover is the process utilizing several cosmetic dental procedures and techniques in order to improve the appearance of the smile. The first step in the process is to address any oral health issues and resolve them. The next step is to discuss your goals and desires and discuss options on how to achieve a youthful and attractive smile along with attention to the functional aspect which can greatly impact the final result and future success of the procedure. The functional component can be overlooked by some dentists which can lead to breakage and even physical discomfort. When undergoing a procedure such as this, it is important to research the dentist's experience and training. Experience and expertise makes a difference.
Functionality is critical but the ability to artistically create a new smile is what shows and gives patients the life changing experience they are seeking. Timothy C. Adams, DDS, D.ACSDD is in a unique position to put it all together and create a smile that is natural and beautiful. He has been involved in literally thousands of cases over the years because of his involvement in training dentists and along with over 35 years in private practice. There are very few dentists in the country who have had that kind of experience. Dr. Adams has also published numerous cosmetic cases over the years which undergo great scrutiny by his peers in order to become published.
Some of the products and procedures performed in a Smile Makeover are:
Porcelain Veneers: They are an ultra-thin shell of tooth-colored porcelain that is cemented over the facial surfaces of your teeth to correct dental issues including worn tooth enamel, uneven tooth alignment or spacing, tooth discoloration, and chips or cracks. When possible, Porcelain Veneers are preferred over crowns because less tooth structure is removed compared to crowns. Porcelain veneers give a much more natural look compared to crowns which often times have a thick ridge at the gum line which is less attractive. Veneers can strengthen weakened teeth since more of the tooth structure can be retained. Many think of porcelain veneers only for smile makeovers but there are many applications for veneers in there restoration of your teeth.
So, regardless of what causes unattractive teeth, dental veneers may solve most or even all of your cosmetic dental issues, including:
- Wear and tear: Our teeth naturally begin to wear down when we age particularly if we engage in bad habits such as chewing ice, bruxing, biting nails, etc. Aged teeth are more likely to have chips, cracks or a generally uneven appearance. Veneers can restore the natural appearance of healthy, youthful teeth.
- Worn enamel: Tooth enamel can become worn or dulled naturally over time (consuming soft drinks, tea or coffee, smoking and the use of certain medications), or as a result of a genetic predisposition. Veneers are ideal for correcting smiles affected by worn enamel.
- Genetics: Some people's genes have wired the teeth to grow with abnormal spacing between their teeth that widens with age. Some studies have suggested that bottle fed babies may be partly responsible for what was thought as strictly congenital abnormalities.
- Uneven teeth: Uneven teeth can result from the grinding/gnashing of teeth, and/or through general wear and tear. This can lead to bite issues although there can alway be arch issues that cause the uneven teeth that play a role in malocclusion.
- Discoloration: Stubborn tooth discoloration may not be fully correctable through teeth whitening. In such cases, veneers can offer a simple, cosmetic solution.
CAN I HAVE A SMILE MAKEOVER IF THERE ARE TEETH MISSING?
YES. Implant Dentistry is a constantly changing field where new materials are constantly advancing. If one or more implants are needed, it will be discussed at your appointment and the treatment plan will be established. It is important to allow enough time for an implant to heal and adapt to its new environment. After adequate time, the implant is restored at the same time as the Smile Makeover.
Diode Laser Gum Recontouring: Is a common procedure in the Smile Makeover because it is a great way to enhance the smile dramatically with minimal cost.
Important factors to include your Smile Makeover decisions are: facial appearance, skin tone, hair color, teeth (color, width, length, shape and tooth display), gum tissue and lips. Smile makeovers are performed for many reasons and customized according to your unique considerations
Smile Makeovers are very individualized because there are many variables that go in the decision such financial, personal preferences, time, health conditions, and expectations.
Smile Makeovers mean different things to different people:
There are Smile Makeovers that only involve removing all silver fillings(amalgams ) because they have darkened and weakened the teeth. This kind of Smile Makeover results in a natural and healthier smile, free from unsightly metal that prevents many patients from laughing and smiling to their fullest potential.
When considering the color of your teeth, keep in mind that dark or discolored teeth may suggest an aged mouth. A well-shaped smile comprised of bright, white teeth lends to a youthful appearance. The shade your dentist selects for teeth whitening and veneers is carefully evaluated with special consideration given to the tone and color of your face and hair. Cosmetic dentists are skilled at finding the right balance between providing you with a brighter, whiter smile and maintaining a natural tooth color.
Smile Makeovers can actually change the shape of your face leaving you with a more youthful appearance without going through traditional plastic surgery.
Dr. Adams can work closely with you to develop a treatment plan designed to achieve exactly what you want from your makeover. This treatment plan may consist of many cosmetic and functionally restorative procedures that can deliver the kind of smile you have always wanted.